Godhadi - Our "Security blanket"
Godhadi is a traditional Indian quilt / blanket, typically, made with old cotton sarees quilted together, and usually handmade at home.
I have had a godhadi made with my Mom's sarees for as long as I remember. I never really liked the look of that old thing - but it is one of the most comfortable pieces of bedding that you can find.
It was no surprise that I brought my godhadi with me when I came to the US as a student and ten years later, till date, it is still something I cuddle under when I am not feeling too well.
It provides the kind of warmth that u only get from a Mother's hug and brings back memories of steaming bowls of yummy stews simmered to perfection that makes you feel like - sigh - all is right with the world.
So, I was super psyched when Kaushik's mom made my little munchkin his own godhadi from sarees from both Grandmoms to be !
Aden and Anais, no offense- you can keep your organic cotton, gajillion thread count blankies - it's not coming close to a hand stitched Godhadi - to be filled with memories to come :)
I have had a godhadi made with my Mom's sarees for as long as I remember. I never really liked the look of that old thing - but it is one of the most comfortable pieces of bedding that you can find.
It was no surprise that I brought my godhadi with me when I came to the US as a student and ten years later, till date, it is still something I cuddle under when I am not feeling too well.
It provides the kind of warmth that u only get from a Mother's hug and brings back memories of steaming bowls of yummy stews simmered to perfection that makes you feel like - sigh - all is right with the world.
So, I was super psyched when Kaushik's mom made my little munchkin his own godhadi from sarees from both Grandmoms to be !
Aden and Anais, no offense- you can keep your organic cotton, gajillion thread count blankies - it's not coming close to a hand stitched Godhadi - to be filled with memories to come :)

Comments
Post a Comment